Friday 19 August 2011

Engagement shoots


So today, I thought I'd write about engagement shoots. There's two reasons for this: 1. at the time of writing I'm taking a break from editing some engagement shoot photographs; 2. I recently read this article from Smart Bride Boutique listing of reasons why couples ought to take advantage of engagement shoots. So it's definitely something on my mind that I thought would explore it a little further.

I love doing engagement shoots. Engagement shoots are extremely beneficial to both the photographer and the couple for a lot of reasons, but the reason for writing this is perhaps aimed at people who aren’t really sure whether they want an engagement shoot. I think there’s a potential for misunderstandings as to what an engagement shoot involves. I know some people want to “opt out”, but I like to encourage people to reconsider, and this blog entry is about why engagement shoots are a good idea.

Lots of photographers, including myself, offer engagement shoots as part of their complete wedding photography package. Within my package it’s a complementary part of the complete service, and it’s really useful for me when I’m working with a couple.

I think one of the misconceptions is that because you’re hiring a professional photographer the engagement session will be as formal as traditional wedding photography. It’s not. Engagement photo shoots are a slightly different creature. You don’t have to get dressed up, you can wear exactly what you want and unless you’re really into formal poses, most engagement photo shoots tend to be very relaxed and usually shot on location. Actually, engagement shoots offer a wonderful opportunity for a couple to get a little creative with their photographer, do things you really don’t want to do when you’re wearing smart clothes and surrounded by friends and family and have hundreds of other things to think about. It’s about having photos which are about you looking lovely, but also much more every-day. Think of it as lifestyle rather than ceremony. It’s all about exploring your personality outside the wedding environment.

So what are the benefits then? First of all, I encourage my couples to see it as a rehearsal. It gives them a chance to see exactly what its like being in front of my camera, relax, play, and really build up a photographic relationship. It takes away the “what do we do?” factor. It’s a warm up, so that by the time the wedding day comes, my couples feel relaxed, happy and much more confident in front of the camera.

The second benefit is that it’s an opportunity for me to work with my couple, so that we can build on what we produce from the engagement shoot. With their feedback, we know whether we want to do more of a certain thing; or if there’s a pose that they just don’t feel works for them. It’s an opportunity to identify the stronger and weaker images and that can all feed into how we work on the wedding day.

Thirdly, engagement shoots give you an extra photo session, an extra range of professional images you can use.  It makes it a bit more versatile; you have an extra range of photos to use to show people who you are. You can use them as your online profile picture, in print, as a gift for a relative, or for a wedding website for your guests. It also means you’re not waiting until after your wedding before you have lovely photos to show people.

Fourthly, consider the engagement shoot as your pre-wedding treat. When you’re planning your wedding, you spend a lot of money on things that won’t be used or seen until the wedding day. Your daily budget might also be a bit more constrained as a result; you’ve cut back on the luxuries or at perhaps feel a little guilty when you spend when you’re meant to be saving.  The engagement shoot is a chance to be a little more self-indulgent. If it’s included in your wedding photography package, then you can enjoy it without the guilt factor.

Finally, it gives you the chance to have their photograph almost anywhere. Perhaps there’s a stately home with gorgeous grounds that doesn’t cater for weddings but could be used as a backdrop for your engagement session. Maybe you went somewhere on a first date and want to use it for your engagement shoot. I say almost anywhere – remember to factor in traveling distance, and also seeking prior permission from any property owners. 

While I hope this blog entry has perhaps persuaded any engagement shoot sceptics, I'd love to hear from readers on their thoughts and experiences of engagement shoots. Did you have one? If not, do you wish you had?  Or have you got one lined up and how are you feeling about it? Or have you got anything you think ought to be added to this list of reasons why?
 
In my next blog article, I’ll be talking about the practical issues involved in engagement shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...