Thursday 16 September 2010

Plans and Presents - the photoshoot


So I thought I'd write a blog post today about my photoshoot last week with Alison from Plans and Presents.

I really like working in the West End of Glasgow because it does offer such a wide variety of locations in a small area. I like places where locations are within short walking distances. Partly because I don't really want my clients to feel tired from being marched around, but also because I usually have a considerable amount of equipment to haul. While the weight isn't always an issue, it's usually the awkwardness of bag shapes that can be the problem. If you've ever tried dragging large cumbersome suitcases around, you probably have a fair idea how you always end up a magnet for people to walk directly towards. Same thing happens when I've got a long tripod bag over my shoulder.

Following my reccie I knew I wanted to use the cloisters at Glasgow university for this shoot. I also had a pretty good idea of something I wanted to do with the lighting. I prefer keeping my lighting as simple as possible, something I've gradually learned over time that too many lights can spoil a photo.

Alison started her business over a year ago, and in that short space of time she's become an influential figure in Scotland for weddings and event organisation, clear proof of her hard work,  determination and passion for providing a good service to her clients. She's also incredibly friendly, something I daresay has helped her to succeed with working with people towards their weddings.

Alison was keen to have some professional photographs taken which were more current. I was more than happy to do this, and I felt that she would suit a classic contemporary image.

To me, portraiture is a bit like clothes shopping. One size doesn't fit all, one style doesn't always suit all people either. You need to get a feel, an idea for what would and can work. Poses, lighting, and post production are all important factors to consider with the end result.

Alison came wearing a lovely cerise top with smart black trousers and shoes, looking very professional and smart. Combined with her raven black hair and dark eyes, I knew I wanted this to be very much about colour and keeping everything about the photographs striking and bold.

We started the shoot at the Cloisters, and moved round the campus to a large wooden door which had gorgeous warm tones and texture and I felt this would work in a photograph.

After leaving the university, we walked over to Cranworth Lane - which I consider perhaps the equally attractive but lesser visited cousin of Ashton Lane. I felt this gave a lovely cosmopolitan setting for the next set of photographs, and the black and white exteriors really worked well as a simple monochromatic backdrop to Alison's bright top.

Finally, we headed to the Botanics. I decided to give Alison a more relaxing pose to assume, and asked her to lie down for me. While the weather is good, I wanted to take the chance to do something a little more summery.

Those fluffy white clouds, blue sky and green grass won't be around much longer, so here was a chance to take full advantage of them as a backdrop.

While studios are great places to work with portraits (especially if its raining or you want a change of clothes, or space to be more experimental), I do enjoy shooting on location much more. I think this is because I find it so much more versatile. Also, working outside means I get to use one of the most powerful lights I can - the sun. No batteries or wires and so powerful to use and easy to manipulate to work with a portrait.

Working with Alison was an absolute pleasure for this shoot. A good shoot to me is as much about chemistry and people enjoying it, as it is about the photographs at the end. The best photographs usually show a good rapport between the subject and the photographer, something you get when both parties enjoy the shoot. Alison is naturally friendly and easy to talk to and I think she bonded well with the camera. Relaxing and enjoying yourself are integral to a successful shoot, feeling tense or frustrated tend to come out in facial expressions or body language very quickly and any subconscious behaviour can be impossible to control, so it all gets picked up by the camera.

That's why I think it's so important to meet with wedding photographers before you hire them. If you don't click off camera, the images might not click on your big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...