Tuesday 7 September 2010

Summers end

So here we are, start of September, and I'd say it's the start of Autumn. Almost.

I really love Autumn. It's my favourite season in the year. I love the colours associated with Autumn; I love the clothes and colours and fabrics that come with autumnal fashions; I love the smells (aside from when the fields are being sprayed - do not like). I love waking up and seeing a proper dawn, and feeling like I've actually woken up at the start of a new day. I love the light mists across the countryside; I love the smell of burning wood and bonfires. I'm possibly also slightly biased, as Autumn is my birthday season, and I'll be honest, I really like the cake, presents, and excitement about having a birthday.

When I was a child, I was quite happy to go back to school at the end of summer. Back in those days, there was of course a bit of me wishing for a slightly longer summer holiday, with flexible bedtimes and a distinct lack of homework. However, I did enjoy going into a new classroom, a new teacher with no idea about me, new jotters and books needing covered, new everything, including school bag and school uniform. All that newness appealed to me. Within a week however, the novelty would have worn off, but I still enjoyed the Autumn term, with two mid-term holidays (September weekend and October break which occasionally fell right after my birthday), and drawing and making things for Halloween and Guy Fawkes Day.

Last week felt very much like summer's last stand. I like summer (aside from when its too hot or when I've got hayfever), but Autumn feels special. It feels like a celebration, or a fireworks display of colour before the night of winter arrives.

So with my thinking cap on, I'm in the middle of trying to come up with some more autumnal flavoured photoshoots. I really want to take advantage of the season of colours. More than that, it's about taking advantage of the change of light. Autumn feels so fleeting, but it's a really beautiful month, so a perfect time to go out and be a photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...