Wednesday 5 October 2011

Reflections

I thought today, I'd write a bit more of a personal blog entry. This is more about life as a photographer, businesswoman.

I formally started my business just over a year ago. Prior to that, I was out getting experience as an assistant, building up my portfolio as well as studying.

Being in Year One has been a huge learning curve. I had a lot of support from Business Gateway, and attended a lot of their seminars and workshops which are designed to help new businesses with aspects such as marketing, book keeping, and search engine optimisation. The thing about being a photographer, is how much time I'm actually "photographing". I do a lot of photography, but with that comes the editing, preparing images for client viewing, archiving, storage, and so on. I also have to think about contracts, legal aspects, book keeping, receipts and invoices, sending out letters, and maintaining my website.

It's all been a learning curve, particularly when a lot of things all happen at once. I consider myself to be fairly organised and good at administrative tasks, which helps. However, there are times when I identify a change required to make things more efficient, and that can be fairly time consuming. All new businesses and projects take a little bit of time - I think you need to go through it once to see what the process is actually about. Even with all the advice I've received, the curve comes from working out how that all impacts upon my business and my clients.

It's also been a good year for identifying things where additional training has been useful. It's been a year of learning how to research effectively too - finding out what products suit my business.

I'm fairly happy with the way things have been over the last twelve months. I've learned a lot about myself, as a person, as a business woman and as a photographer. I've pushed myself, and risen to the challenges set.

I've also been fortunate enough to build up a wonderful client base, who frankly, without them, I'd just be a girl with a business model. The thing that's been reassuring, is how some of my couples have gone from being "client", a person with a need where I fulfill that need (as their wedding photographer), to being people I've become friends with. For me, that's been one of the landmarks to let me know I'm doing the right thing. I think I've been able to attract the right couples by being myself. And actually, since that's how friendships form naturally, I've come away feeling a lot closer to my couples as a result. The thing that has been interesting though, is seeing the amount of similarities between my couples, in terms of traits or personality. It's interesting because it makes me wonder if that's a reflection of me - if I too have those similarities, and I suspect I do.

 This comes a lot into my branding - my branding is all about being me. Sometimes I think we all have an ideal as to how we want our branding to be perceived, but maybe it's not true to who we are as people.  Sometimes there's no better way of identifying your own brand than having your clients and friends as a mirror to your personality.

I also don't get too upset at "not" getting every booking. Not all people are well-suited together. I know those brides and grooms will find someone better for them, more suited to them. My personality and their personality may not be compatible, and that's not something anyone wants to discover on their wedding day.

On a slightly soppy note, I do love seeing my couples getting married. I love being there. It's an amazing thing to see two people make a life-long commitment, in front of a room of people at a formal ceremony. The idea that one of those two people decided one day that being in that relationship was what they wanted. They decided one day, that this was the person they couldn't live without, that they wanted to spend the rest of their life with. This was their life partner. And so they asked the other person to marry them, and the other person felt exactly the same way - this was who they wanted to be with, this was the right person for them, they felt so happy, so loved, so in love, and so secure that they wanted to continue with that for the rest of their life. Being asked to photograph and document that for them to have for the next fifty years of their joint lives together, that's special. We always think about royal weddings as being historic moments, but actually, every wedding is an historic moment in the timeline of a family. And photographs are the keepsakes, the treasures, for generations of family to look back and see. By the time I get to the wedding, I've gotten to know the couple enough, and I genuinely want them to be happy. It's also lovely to meet their friends and family. Every one of my couples has got an amazing friend and family base around them, people who approach me at the wedding and tell me how special the couple are. Things that actually, I can't capture on a camera. The compliments your guests say when you're not even in earshot, to the photographer... that's pretty fantastic to witness too. It's wonderful to go to a wedding and see couples who love each other, but who are so loved from their guests. When you've got that sort of love and support around you, you really can conquer the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...