Monday 16 April 2012

House for an Art Lover: Portfolio Bridal Shoot

So here's the thing. Since I left college a couple of years ago, I still enjoy creating portfolio shoots. Some people call them "styled" shoots, but I prefer to call them portfolio shoots, as I feel it describes the end result and purpose a lot better.

Anyway. Back in July, I met with another young photographer, on a sunny day in Stirling, called Zoe Campbell. We sat, we chatted (a lot), and she was among the first sort of photographer who I'd met who wasn't simply sizing me up as competition; she was genuinely interested in chatting to me as a fellow photographer and business woman and we got on like the proverbial house on fire. We got to chatting about doing a portfolio shoot together and as I went to leave, I suggested the idea of getting a couple of models, a few frocks, and just going out somewhere and doing a "little shoot". Simple enough, great for practice.

Fast forward a few months and Zoe and I were chatting about it on Twitter. We caught the attention of a few other wedding suppliers, and in the space of an evening online, we'd formed our team: a make up artist - Sophie Edwards; a jewellery and accessory designer - Gioia Mia; a bridal dress designer - Flossy and Dossy; a stationer - Hill Weddings; and a florist - I Heart Flowers. So that was where it began. As we went along, we also recruited the lovely Mack Photography, which was thrilling, into our online team.  We'd also scooped Photos by Zoe into our little gang of chatterboxes, she was unable to join us on the day, but she became an honourary member of our team.

It was a massive shoot, and it involved a lot of organisation and planning. We even had our own private Facebook group, which made things a lot easier. We had proper group meetings in cafes - not just a case of sitting drinking coffee and occasionally commenting "so what about this shoot then?", but actual, sit down, plan it out, and bring your notebook (unless you're me and forgot. Ahem).

There was a lot of cross-planning too. We had diaries to think of, as well as Gioia Mia, Flossy and Dossy, Hill Weddings and I Heart Flowers coordinating on colour, design and materials, both face to face, and via email and online.



We also had to find a venue. Although we wanted it to be predominantly outdoors, we knew we couldn't rely on the Scottish weather as autumn and winter started to pull in, so needed somewhere that had it all - outdoors if it was nice; but a venue that was also willing to let us shoot indoors too.

Finding a venue was perhaps the hardest part. Aside from letting us shoot indoors, I was also keen that they understood this wasn't going to be the sort of thing that could be done in half-an-hour.

That's where House for an Art Lover came in. Located in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow, I'd been there previously for a college project shoot and found them to be very friendly and accommodating.  So we called them up, and again they were brilliant. They fitted the plan perfectly - they suited our themes; they were handy and easy for the whole team to access; and they understood what we were trying to do. Without the right venue, the shoot wouldn't have happened at all, so I'm thoroughly grateful to House for An Art Lover for what they did for us.

While visiting a local wedding fair, Sonia from Gioia Mia and I also met a very lovely man who was representing his company at the fair, A Suit That Fits. Aside from being completely charming, we also fell in love with their suit designs. We loved the quirkiness of the suits, the idea that a wedding suit doesn't have to be staid and dull, but can be thoroughly stylish and actually, damned cool. We were thrilled when they agreed to work with us, and sent us some samples for our male models for our shoot.

We also decided to invite Chris from Nuvo Limousines to join our troop. Chris kindly brought his stylish Beauford car to the shoot, which gave us a wonderful starting point for our story. London Ross, from Macs Glasgow gave our models fantastic hairstyles for the shoot. Butler and Taylor were also kind enough to lend us their gorgeous gramophone and some records, to help set our scene.

Of course, no shoot can really take place without models, in this case, Emily Morton and Jamie Hillen who were our 50's couple, while Caeley Elcock and Omar Zingaro Bhatia became our 30s couple. I don't think we can thank them enough, for turning up on a cold, rainy November day, for early morning hair and make up, and then working through the day for us.

My day, started at around 5am. Up early and a good breakfast, packing the car, checking, rechecking, and triple checking I had everything I needed. Then I headed off to collect the gramophone and Sonia, before heading off to see dresses, suits, flowers, models and the rest of the team.

I always wake up early on shoot days. It was a proper November day as well, pouring with rain, grey and dull. I'd hoped that we might be able to shoot outside, but the weather prevented us from venturing out. It felt a world away from sitting outside a cafe in Stirling, sipping coffee with Zoe. Perhaps our biggest battle was chasing the fading light later in the afternoon and having to compensate for a lack of natural daylight pouring in.

We worked hard, all day. House for an Art Lover were incredible, and brilliantly accommodating.

Doing a shoot like this, really is about two halves. The first stage, the planning and preparation, the front end work belonged to Flossy and Dossy, I Heart Flowers, and Gioia Mia. At this stage, the rest of us could only really assist, through organisation; but the work of creating dresses and jewellery, with a deadline approaching, was entirely the domain of our styling team. Due to the fragile nature of flowers, Sophie from I Heart Flowers also had quite a challenge - creating gorgeous bouquets and buttonholes, but having only a small window of opportunity to do so in order to preserve the flowers at their best.  On the day, we all had roles to play - with our make up artist Sophie Edwards and our hair stylist London Ross getting the early morning shift.

Then the workload shifted onto the photographic team. We took photos, bounced around, and then had the work of downloading and editing images, which is always much more time consuming than even sometimes we like to think. It's not the sort of thing you can feasibly do in one sitting either - I always like to download, have an initial look, then spend a little time away from the computer - perhaps an hour or so - in between stages. I need to look, revisit, look again. Sometimes my favourite photo falls to the bottom of the pile; sometimes a photo that didn't initially grab my attention rises to the top of my favourites. I download, then I cull a first time, I do initial tweaks and cull a second time, then I do a thorough edit, and I'll often cull a third time afterwards; occasionally even a forth time, if I feel I'm including too many photographs which are almost identical.

We'd decided early on, before we'd started the shoot, to send the photos to Love my Dress blog. We didn't know if Annabel would blog them, but we thought it would be worth a try. We spent a while editing the photos, then as a group we shortlisted our first selection of our favourite photographs - a portfolio if you like, to showcase to Annabel. It was a careful process. We eliminated duplicates, and ensured that the first taster really was a selection of photographs we felt were our strongest work and most reflective of our shoot.  The whole team was involved in this process - it was about finding what people liked most, and what they felt reflected their work best. Critique was never personal.

Sometimes it was funny, often it was thought provoking, but it was never personal. I think if I were to describe it, I'd say it was trustworthy. We all had each others best interests at heart, because the best interests of the team were our best interests too. We'd formed into this incredible team, we'd developed skills and abilities and we'd honed our ability to work together, it made me feel complete trust in the team around me.

Then, we drafted an email to Annabel. Sophie and Sonia worked on this, while the photographers edited. Once we'd compiled our first selection of photographs, we sent them, along with the email, off to Annabel. Then it became a waiting game.

I was in London when I got a text from Sonia, telling me that Annabel had said yes. There's a photo of me, on Facebook, where I've taken a self-portrait with my mobile, and it's me with the biggest grin on my face at the news.

Being featured on Love My Dress was an absolute thrill - it was what we'd worked for, it was what we'd hoped for, and what we'd aimed for. And it was what we achieved. To us, it was a goal we wanted to achieve and we'd worked hard for it - so to see that come to fruition was fantastic.

Its always about setting new challenges, bigger ones, every time. Never settling to rest on your laurels, never settling to achieve the same level of success each time. Each time it's a venture further out, adding on something new, doing something a bit bigger, and never expecting to hear the word "no" before you've tried. Push a bit more, try a little more, experiment a bit more. The more I find things happening, and people saying yes, the more I realise there's a whole world of "yes" waiting for me out there. And I've heard plenty of "no" responses too - loads of them, but to be honest, I don't remember them. I remember the "yes" moments. That's not even about positive thinking - that's purely about the fact that I just simply don't remember rejections.

The best thing about this shoot, is it's made me see what I can do... and it's left me with lots of open doors of thought to new possibilities.




Photography on this page: Struve Photography
Photography - Zoe Campbell Photography + Mack Photography
Venue - House for an Art Lover, Glasgow
Dress Designer-Maker - Flossy and Dossy
Flowers - I Heart Flowers
Jewellery and Accessories - Gioia Mia
Stationery - Caroline Hill Wedding Stationery
Make-up Artist - Sophie Edwards
Hair Stylist - London Ross
Menswear - A Suit That Fits
Car - Nuvo Limousines
Gramophone and records - Butler and Taylor
Models - Emily Morton, Caeley Elcock, Jamie Hillen and Omar Zingaro Bhatia

5 comments:

  1. Loved reading this - and seeing the images of course! Great post Kristin x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos Kristen. I love The House for an Art Lover! We visited it doing a bit of a Charles Rennie Mackintosh tour in Glasgow a couple of years ago. I would LOVE to photograph a wedding there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sonia: it was a brilliant shoot! really enjoyed doing it.

    thanks Gillian! So would I! Its a gorgeous venue, and the staff were brilliant too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so loved this shoot. Such a fab venue and your styling worked so perfectly within it. Well done to all involved! Can't wait to work with you next month! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing such a lovely post Kristin! You covered areas I seem to have left out and given a great behind the scenes insight with your writing - it was such a pleasure being part of the team with you! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...