Friday 27 April 2012

Photos I love: Merchant City, Glasgow, April 2012

Spring in Merchant City in Glasgow

It was forecast to be sunshine but on the day I took this, it was overcast.

The day in question, was Chris and Jon's wedding at the Old Fruitmarket at Candleriggs in Glasgow.

The photograph shows the blossoms on the tree, partly obscuring the view of the Ramshorn Theatre. It's not the ideal angle, looking up at the sky. I imagine a lot of people might have pointed the camera down a bit more, and squared off the angles and perspectives. But it's a photo that I liked in my collection.

There's no detail in the sky, but then, when it's overcast with white cloud, there never is.

I think I love this photograph because of all the gentle tones in it. The soft tint of pink in the blossoms, and the soft fawn colour of the Ramshorn Theatre sandstone, coupled with the white cloud. It's a quintessentially natural scene of a Scottish spring time, it is as it is - simple, uncomplicated, clean.

All this in the middle of a city, a bustling, thriving city shaking off the shackles of a mean reputation. I think this shows Glasgow as it really is - not as it's perceived to be through stereotypes and fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...